Subject: Re: ethernet changed from deN to tlpN
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@iki.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 04/30/2002 09:25:50
On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> > Why are you rebooting a remote machine with the GENERIC kernel?
>
> A better question might be:  why are you running a production machine
> with a GENERIC kernel?  What do you think this is, Linux?  :-)

No, because I was a lazy bastard :-) I didn't optimize the kernel because
GENERIC works just fine on that router. An optimized and save-few-kilobytes
kernel doesn't offer any extra value in this case.

> > (Further, why are you upgrading a machine remotely?)
>
> I don't see a problem with that.  So long as I've got remote console
> access I've rarely had any problem I can't get out of.

This remote upgrade has always worked for me (until now). It's also the only
choice right now as the host is in Finland while I'm temporary living in
Sweden. Taking a boat from Stockholm to Helsinki would mean two nights at
sea so it's not worth the job (=reboot from console).

Martti

---
Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@iki.fi>      NetBSD - No media hype
http://www.iki.fi/kuparine/                     http://www.netbsd.org/