Subject: Re: HEADS UP: ssh configuration files renamed
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/30/2002 11:34:45
On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 01:06:17PM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
  | On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 06:28:27PM +1000, Luke Mewburn wrote:
  | > HEADS UP!
  | >
  | > The ssh(1) and sshd(8) configuration files have been renamed to be
  | > consistent with the OpenSSH defaults:
  |
  | Why? Did you discuss this change anywhere public?

The decision to move to have consistent configuration filenames with what
the third party vendor (OpenSSH) ships with was made a couple of weeks
ago by at least two members of NetBSD core, after long discussion on
various NetBSD forums.

  | We actively changed these to be consistent with our internal
  | defaults. I presume there was some discussion at the time, and
  | someone decided it was the right thing to do. Why would you go about
  | breaking everyone's ssh config file setup *again*?

Because we had a half-baked situation that wasn't consistent with
anything (older NetBSD nor OpenSSH).
	ssh 1.2.x:
		/etc/ssh{,d}_config
		/etc/ssh_host_*key
		/etc/ssh_known_hosts
	Older NetBSD:
		/etc/ssh{,d}.conf
		/etc/ssh_host_*key
		/etc/ssh_known_hosts
	-current NetBSD:
		/etc/ssh/ssh{,d}.conf
		/etc/ssh/ssh_host_*key
		/etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts
	OpenSSH (for a while):
		/etc/ssh/ssh{,d}_config
		/etc/ssh/ssh_host_*key
		/etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts

If NetBSD was maintaining its own codebase, I would consider the
argument that we stick with our own filenames as possibly relevant.
We don't maintain OpenSSH, so we be consistent with its configuration
files, just like we do with other third party software such as
dhcp, postfix, and sendmail.

  | I would *guess* that that someone decided as they did for the least
  | change-over pain when we kick OpenSSH to the curb, at which point
  | the configuration filenames ought, sensibly, to match either the
  | rest of our config files or FreSSH's defaults (or, ideally, both).

As much as I support the concept of FreSSH, it's no where near a
state suitable for use in NetBSD at this time, and making decisions
in NetBSD for software that's effectively vapourware (as far as
NetBSD is concerned for the next year or whatever) is not productive.

Luke.