Subject: Re: bash realpath problem
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mihai Chelaru <kefren@netbsd.ro>
List: current-users
Date: 04/29/2002 23:09:24
On Sunday 28 April 2002 13:18, Mihai Chelaru wrote:
> Try this with bash-2.05 (also tested on another OSes):
>
> bash-2.05$ cd /
> bash-2.05$ pwd
> /
> bash-2.05$ cd //
> bash-2.05$ pwd
> //

I should read the FAQ file. Sorry about that.

---
E10) Why does `cd //' leave $PWD as `//'?

POSIX.2, in its description of `cd', says that *three* or more leading
slashes may be replaced with a single slash when canonicalizing the
current working directory.

This is, I presume, for historical compatibility.  Certain versions of
Unix, and early network file systems, used paths of the form
//hostname/path to access `path' on server `hostname'.

---
Mihai