Subject: Sendmail SASL authentication
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: current-users
Date: 04/27/2002 21:52:01
One of the rare moments I have to attend my part-time ocupation as postmaster
happened today. I will have to change our outgoing mail transport to some
server to use authentication. All docs I got from the remote site is "Just
check the 'server requires authentication' in your outlook account options
dialog".

All affected machines run sendmail, quite stock configuration, one -current,
the others 1.5.3.

All pointers I found talk about SASL and start with recompiling
sendmail to include some cyrus stuff.

So - do I need to do this recompile for the in-tree NetBSD sendmail?
(Either on -current or 1.5.3?)

Any cleartext how-to's? I had hoped it would be as simple as "add XXX to
your M4 config file and replace the esmtp:xxx by asmtp:xxx in your mailertable"

Martin
P.S.: related question: if a sendmail solution requires recompiling, would
the in-tree postfix handle it without external hacks?