Subject: Re: RAIDframe questions
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 04/19/2002 15:09:44
Greg A. Woods writes:
> I found that RAIDframe was a lot better at handling both user errors and
> random garbage on the disk.  If I remember correctly it would refuse to
> do obviously stupid/impossible things whether told to do so from the
> user-land config or from the component labels.

"It tries." :)

> Although I didn't play
> around a lot with it (I wanted to get the system up and usable! ;-), I
> was under the impression that 'raidctl -C' would ignore any existing
> configuration in the component labels,

Right.

> and if followed by a 'raidctl -i'
> would always re-write the parity data.

Right.

> Is this not true?  Surely there's a better way to force reconfiguration
> of the component labels than to dd /dev/zero to them....

If you want to actually nuke/erase the component labels, then 'dd' does the
job.  If what you really want to do is just update the component labels to
reflect the 'raidctl -C' configuration, then a 'raidctl -I 12345' will do
the trick.  (I probably should have suggested 'raidctl -I' in addition to
the 'dd' in my previous message...  but there are times when you actually
need to completely remove a component label.)

Later...

Greg Oster