Subject: Re: Anyone compiling X on NetBSD-current ?
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: current-users
Date: 04/18/2002 17:23:18
    Date:        Wed, 17 Apr 2002 09:31:29 +0000 (UTC)
    From:        Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>

  | In general we cannot guarantee that the latest X11 sources build on old
  | NetBSD-current versions.

That's fine.   The problem was that I thought I was building the latest X11
on the latest NetBSD - and aside from a couple of minor problems, it mostly
all looked to be working.

But I was doing that (attempting to) using the new "cross-build" framework
(but without any actual cross compilation in the sense of different
architectures).

So, the system that was supposed to be visible, used, and installed into
was all up to the minute -current - but what was (is) in / and /usr was
months older.

I guess I should see what happens if I try compiling X with a DESTDIR
that is not / when there is no /usr/X11R6 installed at all, to see if
it was being broken because of an assumption somewhere that DESTDIR==/
or because it was just finding files in /usr/X11R6 first, before
in DESTDIR/usr/X11R6, and assuming they would do.   But some other day...

I appreciate the problems attempting to make pkgsrc cross compilable
(given that NetBSD doesn't control the environment), but I think it would
really be useful to make X compile that way.  Then a complete release
could be cross compiled, now the x* sets can't be.

kre