Subject: Re: Cross-build doesn't work i386->sparc
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/16/2002 17:08:31
On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Todd Vierling wrote:

# On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Greywolf wrote:
#
# : # : Also, I'm trying to find the notes which explain how to do a cross-build
# : # : in pkgsrc.
# : #
# : # Uh, "you don't."  Pkgsrc is not cross-build compatible.
# :
# : "What?!?  Why the hell not?!?"
#
# Because 70%+ of third party software out there (*including* software shich
# uses autoconf) is not cross-build-aware, and will break.  Remember that
# `src' is a build structure that we tightly control, but `pkgsrc' simply
# defers to the third party package's build structure with minor to no
# frobbing.

Perhaps I'm mis-understanding something.  I don't need a full
cross-install; I just need to be able to build, even if it's in pieces
(i.e. build the stuff on the i386; install from the sparc to the sparc
(NFS, most likely)).  I could handle the dependencies falling apart.

But it would definitely be nice to be able to at least
config/compile...oh, wait.  Damn.  It needs config tools...

pkgs don't use /usr/src/tools, they just use make, don't they...hm.

# There's currently no provision in pkgsrc to try making the other 30%
# cross-compile reliably, much less the 70% that have to be reengineered
# altogether.
#
# However, you're free to try starting such an effort.  8-)

It could be done, but it would be a hack gross enough to make a Linux
hacker puke.  It involves chroots and things...my mind is whirring, but
my plate's full, too.  Wonder which of my projects is gonna win this
one.

I didn't realise that it was so cross-build-unfriendly in pkgland.
Sorry I lost my cool, thanks for the explanation.

# -- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
# -- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/

				--*greywolf;
--