Subject: Re: Cross-build doesn't work i386->sparc
To: Greywolf <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/16/2002 19:21:00
On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Greywolf wrote:

: # : Also, I'm trying to find the notes which explain how to do a cross-build
: # : in pkgsrc.
: #
: # Uh, "you don't."  Pkgsrc is not cross-build compatible.
: "What?!?  Why the hell not?!?"

Because 70%+ of third party software out there (*including* software shich
uses autoconf) is not cross-build-aware, and will break.  Remember that
`src' is a build structure that we tightly control, but `pkgsrc' simply
defers to the third party package's build structure with minor to no

There's currently no provision in pkgsrc to try making the other 30%
cross-compile reliably, much less the 70% that have to be reengineered

However, you're free to try starting such an effort.  8-)

-- Todd Vierling <>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support --