Subject: Something strange with Java 1.3 and KDE
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Jacoboni <jaco@teaser.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 04/14/2002 20:58:58
I'm running -Current  :

$ uname -a
NetBSD titine.fr.eu.org 1.5ZC NetBSD 1.5ZC (TITINE-Current-20010918)
#35: Fri Apr 12 13:20:16 CEST 2002
root@titine.fr.eu.org:/usr/src.cvsup/sys/arch/i386/compile/TITINE i386

All my packages (sun_jdk13 and sun_jre13, suse73, etc) seem up to
date (pkg_chk -i doesn't produce any line).

If i run the following (rather stupid) Java program :

/-----------------
| import corejava.Console;
|
| public class Temps2 {
|     static public void main (String[] args) {
|         double heureDebut,
|                heureFin;
|
|        while ((heureDebut = Console.readDouble("Begin: ")) != 0.0) {
|           heureFin   = Console.readDouble("End: ");
|           System.out.println("Begin = " + heureDebut +
|                              " End = " + heureFin);
|        } // while
|     } // main
| } // Temps2
\-----------------

Two things seem to happen :

1) running from a TTY, the program runs ok
2) running from a KDE Konsole, the system freezes deadly (the last
thing it does is to raise the GKrellm CPU monitor to 100%). I've also
seen a spontaneous reboot.

corejava.Console is a class from the Hortsmann & Cornel CoreJava
book. Basically, readDouble() prints the prompt given as its argument and
returns a double value representing the input.

I've tried this same program under Windows 98 and FreeBSD-current
(with KDE2.2, too): it runs ok.

In fact, i don't understand why this problem seems to be related to
using Java from KDE. I don't know if it is Java or KDE related and i
don't understand why it kills the whole box (thanks to ffs, i've not yet
loose any data).

Any advices?
--
Éric Jacoboni, né il y a 1322253605 secondes