Subject: Re: Bynari Insight
To: Gerald C. Simmons <simmons@darykon.cet.com>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/11/2002 11:09:23
--9jxsPFA5p3P2qPhR

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 06:04:04AM -0700, Gerald C. Simmons wrote:
> When you mention groupware stuff, what are you referring to? When I had a=
ccess
> to an Exchange Server previously, we had the ability to do e-mail and
> calendering, but we also had the ability to create Public Folders that al=
lowed
> people to share files & documents and the umbrella of Outlook. The were t=
he
> only features I was aware of.

Depending on how Exchange is configured, you can get at the Public
folders by way of IMAP. But anything that's not a mail folder won't
work right. (And, in any case, I can already do that with mutt.)

(Mostly, I use Exchange for the calender and the todo lists, but
there exists also a journal and note-taking system. The contact
stuff may work through IMAP, but I think that Insight actually wants
to do its contacts through LDAP. I've got no clue about Exchange and
LDAP. It certainly didn't do it when I last configured an Exchange
server, but that was a few years--and a few versions--ago.)

> Did you notice that Bynari had a product called the Insight Connector? Th=
is
> product specifically claims to support "a full range of groupware operati=
ons
> on any server which employs (IMAP)."

Nope. That's to make Outlook talk to their server, not to make
Insight talk to Exchange.

However, I've got something that may work... turns out Ximian sells
a (commercial) add on for their (free) Evolution MUA that will talk
to Exchange.

Learn more here:

  http://www.ximian.com/products/connector/

When I get a few free minutes, I'm going to get my hands on a copy.
I'd like to be able to make it work with our pkgsrc version of
Evolution, but I've got a feeling that's not going to be easy.
(Probably, it's a binary distribution of Linux shared objects...
which I think necessitates running Evolution as an emulated Linux
binary too, right?)

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net