Subject: Re: Bynari Insight
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <>
From: Gerald C. Simmons <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/11/2002 06:04:04
On Tue, Apr 9 2002 at 11:49:31AM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 04:33:17PM -0800, Gerald C. Simmons wrote:
> > Well, good news is I got Insight installed and running on my SuSE
> > Linux 7.3 machine just fine.=20
> Well, insight runs just fine with the newly updated suse_linux-7.3
> packages, but it's a complete let-down. It's actually just a
> POP3/IMAP mail client with some frills to look like Outlook. It
> hasn't a clue how to talk to MS Exchange's groupware component,
> which was the only reason I was interested. Lame.
> (It's got calendering stuff, and can maybe even do groupware things
> using Bynari's server end stuff, but that's clearly not the point of
> just grabbing the client.)
> I guess I can wrap this in a package, if anybody's interested, but
> it can't do what I was led to believe it could (let me get away from
> the Win2k Outlook box wasting a processor), nor can it really do
> anything more than pkgsrc/mail/mutt (and, arguably, does less.

I'm disappointed to hear that. I no longer have access to a real Exchange
Server, and so I was personally unable to verify anything but POP and IMAP
access. I was hoping it did what it claimed, which I think was

When you mention groupware stuff, what are you referring to? When I had access
to an Exchange Server previously, we had the ability to do e-mail and
calendering, but we also had the ability to create Public Folders that allowed
people to share files & documents and the umbrella of Outlook. The were the
only features I was aware of.

Did you notice that Bynari had a product called the Insight Connector? This
product specifically claims to support "a full range of groupware operations
on any server which employs (IMAP)."

Would that work for you?

Gerry Simmons