Subject: Re: Bynari Insight
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Gerald C. Simmons <simmons@darykon.cet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/11/2002 06:04:04
On Tue, Apr 9 2002 at 11:49:31AM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 04:33:17PM -0800, Gerald C. Simmons wrote:
> > Well, good news is I got Insight installed and running on my SuSE
> > Linux 7.3 machine just fine.=20
>
> Well, insight runs just fine with the newly updated suse_linux-7.3
> packages, but it's a complete let-down. It's actually just a
> POP3/IMAP mail client with some frills to look like Outlook. It
> hasn't a clue how to talk to MS Exchange's groupware component,
> which was the only reason I was interested. Lame.
>
> (It's got calendering stuff, and can maybe even do groupware things
> using Bynari's server end stuff, but that's clearly not the point of
> just grabbing the client.)
>
> I guess I can wrap this in a package, if anybody's interested, but
> it can't do what I was led to believe it could (let me get away from
> the Win2k Outlook box wasting a processor), nor can it really do
> anything more than pkgsrc/mail/mutt (and, arguably, does less.

I'm disappointed to hear that. I no longer have access to a real Exchange
Server, and so I was personally unable to verify anything but POP and IMAP
access. I was hoping it did what it claimed, which I think was

When you mention groupware stuff, what are you referring to? When I had access
to an Exchange Server previously, we had the ability to do e-mail and
calendering, but we also had the ability to create Public Folders that allowed
people to share files & documents and the umbrella of Outlook. The were the
only features I was aware of.

Did you notice that Bynari had a product called the Insight Connector? This
product specifically claims to support "a full range of groupware operations
on any server which employs (IMAP)."

Would that work for you?

Gerry Simmons
simmons@darykon.cet.com