Subject: Simpliest setup method
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Joshua Coombs <jcoombs@gwi.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/25/2002 14:55:25
I'm prepping a new box to replace my rather far out of date (1.4.2) 386
firewall.  Being the impatient type, I don't want to wait for 1.5.3 to
be cut as a release, but I would like to have minimal work to upgrade to
it when it is cut.  To me this means get a box up and running as new a
current as possible to minimize upgrade pain.

My minor dilema is how to get to this point.  I'd love to install a
snapshot, but my wonderful Compaq refuses to boot anything other than
DOS sys'd floppies.  Free, Net, Open, doesn't matter who's BSD boot
floppy, it won't take 'em.  I do have 1.5.2Rel on CD can can
boot/install from that, but have noticed that a non trivial amount of
things have changed between 1.5.2 and where NetBSD is now that I'd
prefer to start from as close to a current state as possible.

Suggestions?

Also, is the correct build procedure?  The online docs seem to be a bit
thin in this area, and it's alot of what's been hanging me up.

rm -rf /usr/obj
mkdir /usr/obj
cd /usr/src
make clean