Subject: Re: Upgrading packages / multiple versions
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 03/18/2002 10:10:22
On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 08:30:05AM -0800, Wolfgang Rupprecht wrote:

> Out of curiosity I did let a "pkg_chk -u -s" run to completion.  I got
> dizzy counting how many times it ripped out gnome and reinstalled it.

Presumably it would have only actually done it once?
(Since it would already have been removed...)

OTOH unless one package depends on the output of another, then
there shouldn't be any need to rebuild all the 'dependant'
packages.  Certainly since the shared libraries have all been
given 'strong' versions you don't need to rebuild everything.

Indeed maybe the png package (for example) should build some
of the old versions of its shared library.  Thus allowing binary
packages to install.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk