Subject: Re: syspkg frontends
To: Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@iki.fi>
From: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@mogua.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/17/2002 14:58:46
On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 05:45:24PM +0200, Martti Kuparinen wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Mar 2002, Bang Jun-Young wrote:
>
> > For example, how can we deal with sendmail packages, one from syspkg
> > and another from pkgsrc? Is it possible to update syspkg package to
> > pkgsrc package or vice versa?
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the package.tgz files "same", i.e. the
> only difference is that syspkg_* uses different PKG_PREFIX (/ instead of
> /usr/pkg) and different database directory (/var/db/syspkg instead of
> /var/db/pkg) to record the package information.
>
> Doesn't this mean that I must also set PKG_PREFIX=/ in the frontends?
> Or am I missing something here?

What would happen if you attempted to delete a syspkg package with
pkg_delete(1)? I guess it would fail, since it would unaware of
/var/db/syspkg. You should then run syspkg_delete to actually delete
the package. This is a bit annoying and can lead to confusion and
mistakes.

And I wonder why there are separate databases for syspkg and pkgsrc.
Can't they be collapsed into one? For example, gettext is included
as part of the base system in -current, but gettext package is
unconditionally installed before a package that depends on it is
installed.

Jun-Young

--
Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@mogua.com>