Subject: Re: FreSSH
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/2002 16:19:20
> One problem with encrypting everything is that it becomes trivial
> to perform a 'chosen plaintext' attack.

To which I say "so what" -- any modern cryptosystem will have been
designed to be resistant to that.

Computer networks make it extremely easy to inject chosen plaintext,
so the security community generally believes that cryptosystems and
cryptographic protocols should be designed to be as resistant as
possible to various forms of real-time adaptive chosen-plaintext
attacks..

There are a number of cases during WWII when allied forces took
actions *specifically* to inject chosen plaintext into a cryptosystem
under attack, including a ruse involving a "failed" desalinization
plant on Midway Island, and the British practice of "gardening" --
overtly mining specific ocean grid squares in order to produce known
plaintext in German transmissions warning ships about the new
minefields.

					- Bill