Subject: Re: syspkg frontends
To: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@mogua.com>
From: Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@iki.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/2002 10:02:47
On Sat, 16 Mar 2002, Bang Jun-Young wrote:

> > Are there any plans to produce frontend scripts (syspkg_add, ...)
> > to be used with syspkg? It's easy for forget the PKG_DBDIR setting
> > from the command line...
>
> Is there special magic necessary to handle syspkg packages? Why
> can't we just use existing pkg_* tools (or extend them)?

1) Hard to find a good "name" for the switch (-s and -S are used)
2) No modification to the normal pkg_* utilities, thus no risk of
   breaking things (especially so close to 1.6 freeze)
3) People find it easier(?) and more natural to use syspkg_* (this is
   just a poll of 5 different people, myself and few others, result: 4-1)
   instead of the "pkgsrc utilities" (some of my friends associate
   pkg_* to pkgsrc and only to it).

The scripts are very simple so they shouldn't waste much disk space.
More comments? Should I add these to usr.sbin/pkg_install/syspkg or not?

Martti

---
Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@iki.fi>      NetBSD - No media hype
http://www.iki.fi/~kuparine/                    http://www.netbsd.org/