Subject: Re: FreSSH
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/08/2002 15:38:24
On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 11:48:38PM -0500, Michael G. Schabert wrote:
> At 11:32 PM -0500 3/7/02, David Maxwell wrote:
>
> >Well, I'd like an sshd that I don't have to be ready to upgrade on every
> >exposed machine on a day's notice.
> >
> >It would be kind of nice to step away from the net for a few days, and
> >not wonder if everything's fallen apart while my back was turned.
>
> C'mon, David, you know better than that. No program greater than a
> hundred lines or so can have active development *and* be bug-free
> every second.

Ahh. There's the rub. I don't want an sshd that's in development. I
don't use all the features OpenSSH had now. I want an sshd that conforms
to the protocol spec, and has bugfixes, but which is not in active
development.

> Every substantial program on the planet has had bugs
> during its development. We still ship with sendmail too, and that has
> had *far* more exploitable bugs than OpenSSH.

Sure, but I don't use it, because there are saner/safer mailers.

> No, you don't have to be prepared on a day's notice. The same could
> be said the day after every every security avisory for every utility
> is released.

Most of said utilities aren't remotely exploitable. Apache exploits, for
example, would be similarly annoying. Most other things aren't.

> Heck, according to this advisory it has existed since
> version 2.0 without anyone ever noticing.

Well, no one willing to tell the rest of us, anyway...

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,