Subject: Gratious rename of ISDN device and interface names
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@NetBSD.ORG>
List: current-users
Date: 03/06/2002 14:19:05
When I imported the I4B isdn subsystem into -current quite some time ago
I tried to make the transition for everyone using I4B at that time as smooth
as possible. This means all device and interface names are the same as they
always used to be. Due to lacking documentation this seemed to be a must at
that time.

This now strikes me as an error. I would like to correct it RSN, so our first
official release including ISDN support will have the right names.

We have use the following names now:

  /dev/i4b		# master ISDN device, opened only once by isdnd
  /dev/i4bctl		# device to issue ioctls on (like: dial)
  /dev/i4btrc		# trace devices
  /dev/i4brbch		# raw B-channel devices
  /dev/i4btel		# phone devices, audio over ISDN, answering machines

  isp			# ISDN ppp interface
  ipr			# IP-over-raw-ISDN interface

At least "isp" collides with SCSI controller devices. Not technically,
but still a source for confusion.

We could do a simple rename:

  isp -> i4bisppp	# I4B ISDN ppp interface
  ipr -> i4bipr		# I4B IP-raw interface

and stick with the I4B prefix.

I prefer a complete rototill, getting rid of the I4B prefix and cleaning up
some names:

  /dev/i4b	-> /dev/isdn		# ISDN master device
  /dev/i4bctl	-> /dev/isdnctl		# ISDN controll
  /dev/i4btrc	-> /dev/isdntrc		# ISDN trace
  /dev/i4brbch	-> /dev/isdnbchan	# ISDN B-channel (isdnraw?)
  /dev/i4btel	-> /dev/isdntel		# ISDN telephone

  isp		-> ippp			# ISDN ppp
  ipr		-> irip			# ISDN raw IP (???)

Any opinions? Bricks?

Martin