Subject: Re: Conexant Systems 'HW 56K Fax Modem'
To: David Brownlee <abs@formula1.com>
From: Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@hackerheaven.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/05/2002 02:09:29
David Brownlee heeft op maandag 4 maart 2002 om 18:39 het volgende
geschreven:

> 	I ordered a 'hardware' internal modem, and received a PCI card
> 	"Conexant Systems HW 56K Fax Modem". It comes with drivers for
> 	win9x and 3.1 which is vaguely hopeful.
>
> 	Is this likely to be a 'puc' device, something else useful, or
> 	a winmodem by any other name?

On my FreeBSD laptop, I also have a conexant integrated 56K
modem/ethernet thingy, and AFAIK they both work. The FreeBSD name for
the network part is 'dc', and the modem is just a 'sio' device. I
believe the network part is a modified DEC/Intel chip. Dunno about the
modem, but it looks plain serial to me. My laptop has no serial ports
(except for USB).

Here are snippets from my FreeBSD dmesg:

(Network bit)
dc0: <Conexant LANfinity MiniPCI 10/100BaseTX> port 0x1400-0x14ff mem
0xf4000000-0xf4003fff irq 9 at device 9.0 on pci0
dc0: Ethernet address: 00:50:8b:fa:2e:0b

(serial bit)
sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 16550A
sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0

Hope this info helped a bit.

Cheers,
Emiel