Subject: pppoe and ipnat (yet another question)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Finney <seanius@seanius.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/2002 11:39:47
hey all--

hope you're all not getting tired of me already :)  So, now that I have
this working, I'd like to get ipnat working.  I've been somewhat frustrated
in my attempts to get this working--I understood ipf/inpat to get my NAT
set up last year when I had a standard static address on a normal DSL
connection, but I've been unable to get it to work with my current pppoe
setup.

My layout is something like:

net <------> (rtk0/pppoe0) my netbsd box (rtk1) <-----> internal NAT'd LAN

the lan is 192.168.0.0/0xffffff00, and rtk1 is 192.168.0.1.

i have rules of the form

map pppoe0 192.168.0.0/24 -> 0/16

that don't seem to work at all.  I can speak to either the lan or the
net from the netbsd box, but the essential NAT'ing doesn't seem to be happening.
If I understand correctly I don't want to use rtk0 as the device in the map
list, but pppoe0 instead, right?  Also, does the ip address/submask of rtk0
matter at all?  Should it even be set?  Anyone have an idea why this might
not be working?  I can supply more info like the actual /etc/ipnat.conf or
`route show` or `ìfconfig -a` if it'd be helpful.

thanks
--sean