Subject: Re: pppoe documentation
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/2002 14:02:09
Sean Finney <seanius@seanius.net> wrote:
> my kernel definately does pppoe (didn't know about the -C
> flag to ifconfig, thanks),

You don't need kernel PPPoE support for the "rp-pppoe" package. It is a
complete userland implementation which only requires normal PPP support
in your kernel.

> and I've downloaded/compiled/installed the latest rp-pppoe package from
> their website,

You should really try the package in "pkgsrc/net/rp-pppoe" because
this version is known to work with NetBSD. It wouldn't be the first
time that they broke NetBSD compatibility.

> My next question is, do I (like as it is in linux) need a specially
> patched version of pppd to get this to work too?

NetBSD 1.5 comes with a version that works with the "rp-pppoe" package.
For NetBSD 1.4 you'll need the "ppp" package in "pkgsrc/net/ppp".

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/