Subject: Re: ipmon does not start as daemon
To: Andrew Brown <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/27/2002 14:02:32
[ On Wednesday, February 27, 2002 at 13:36:29 (-0500), Andrew Brown wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: ipmon does not start as daemon
> >A long time ago I added '-D' to ipmon to have it turn itself into a
> >daemon automatically and I changed my startup to be more like:
> >
> >     ${command} -D ${ipmon_flags}
> >
> >The version in -current now has '-D' now too, but unfortunately
> >etc/rc.d/ipmon has not yet been fixed to use it explicitly....
> what do you mean?  the -D flag was added to ipmon_flags in
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf last july, so there's no need for "explicit" use
> of it.

I mean that's the wrong way to use it.  Obviously there's been an
problem with people not including '-D' in their own /etc/rc.conf
settings, and if you think about it for a tiny wee moment longer you'll
hopefully realise that in the way /etc/rc.d/ipmon invokes 'ipmon' the
'-D' will _ALWAYS_ be absolutely required, and therefore the correct
solution is to explicitly use '-D' in that invocation (and to not rely
on admins keeping it in their /etc/rc.conf settings)!

								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;  <>;  <>;  <>