Subject: Re: bt-radio driver problem
To: Current Users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 02/23/2002 23:55:29
On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 05:11:21PM +0200, Jukka Marin wrote:
> So, I bought a Hauppauge Win-TV card and got it working on my test machine.
> However, there seems to be a problem in the radio driver: After some event
> (don't know what else, but like using a weird frequency on the radio), the
> radio refuses to tune to FM stations.  If I use radioctl -w to set the
> frequency, it is set (according to radioctl -a), but all I hear is noise.
> I have to use fxtv to view some TV channel to get the radio working again.

After more investigating:

I can make the tuner work again by requesting a very high frequency like
2000 MHz and then the frequency I want (using radioctl).

I can also make the tuner work by starting xmradio.  It _always_ fixes the
problem immediately.

I added some debug printf's in the driver, but as far as I can tell, the
parameters passed to the FR1216 tuner (when changing the frequency) are
always correct.  I made a small change in the radio frequency setting
code after reading the Philips datasheet (effectively copied some code
from the TV side), but this didn't fix the problem.

I noticed that xmradio uses /dev/tuner instead of /dev/radio.  However,
I seem to have no manual page for /dev/tuner, so I can't easily write
a test program to see if I could make it work as well as xmradio does.

  -jm