Subject: NetBSD 1.5.2 panics
To: None <netbsd-current@netbsd.org>
From: Shannon <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/15/2002 12:00:22
My Sun SS5 has crashed 4 times since last November, basically ever since
upgrading to the 1.5.x kernels.

"panic: malloc: out of space in kmem_map" is the only error message I
ever see.

This happens sometimes at 0300 when the machine is scheduled to do
things like locate database updates, and happened just last night
during heavy use.

It seems related to filesystem load, but in each of those cases there
is a heavy processing load as well.

I have read a few messages suggesting an increase in NKMEMPAGES will
fix the problem.

Howevever, I really didn't find much information outside of this in the
archives. I'd really like to figure out exactly what causes this panic,
and get a better idea how to fix it. Just setting some kernel limit up
high doesn't seem right... shouldn't the kernel handle a resource
limit without panicking?

--
______________________/ armchairrocketscientistgraffitiexenstentialist