Subject: Re: can't build
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/07/2002 23:22:28
On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Greywolf wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, R.o.s.s  H.a.r.v.e.y wrote:
>
> # There is nothing wrong with him using the old-style make build to "update
> # his whole system". The new religion has some benefits but is not required.

I just used the new toolchain to update a 1.5.1/i386 system to
current, and it worked famously. The only rough corner, was at some
point OBJMACHINE directores were created with .unknown suffixes, and
there were some objects that managed to get built in the source tree,
but that wasn't too hard to clean up. If I had to do it over, I would
try to specify "-m i386" from the start. I wouldn't attempt a
"distant" upgrade any other way, myself.

> Is there any way we can convince a make release to draw from the current
> whatever-is-built under DESTDIR and build a release from that, instead
> of insisting on going through and rebuilding the world?

Set INSTALL_DONE= in /etc/mk.conf or in the environment, same as
always. (See /usr/src/etc/Makefile.)

> If this is the way that we are going to make things build in the future,
> we'd best make sure they work.  I don't see any fixes forthcoming to the
> problems I have described thus far.
>
> But then, I've not read all my mail for the day, yet, either, so if
> something I've bitched about has actually been addressed, I withdraw
> the above paragraph.  If not, however, it still stands, and "get it
> together".  A cross-build-release -- let alone a
> NATIVE-build-release! -- should not need to be this painful.

I'm building for 1.5ZA/mac68k/ELF on 1.5.3_ALPHA/i386 and exporting
the resulting DESTDIR for syncing up using pax or rsync.

Frederick