Subject: Re: OBJDIRs that don't exist, in bsd.obj.mk
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: BOUWSMA Beery <netbsd-user@dcf77-zeit.netscum.dyndns.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 02/07/2002 21:30:25
> : I could create it by hand, but if I decide to free up some inodes by
> : nuking the whole object tree, then I'm back to square one, when the
> : build process could (should?) do it for me.

> Actually, it deliberately *doesn't* auto-create the top level directories
> for BSDOBJDIR and/or MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX.  They should be created by hand.
> (This is a sanity check to make sure directories outside the src tree
> aren't created without permission of the builder.)

I had actually speculated about such in private e-mail with one of
the developers, in which case I suggested some flag could be set to
say, I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING_AND_I_HAVE_READ_THE_FINE_PRINT_AND_AGREE_etc
although I think I called it something like FORCEMKDIROBJDIRS which
would normally default false, but I didn't incorporate that into the
hack I added.

Would such a patch, wrapped by a test for FORCEMKDIROBJDIRPREFIXES=yup,
be acceptable?  In the past, I've had failures in building, like today,
that I've been able to work around by simply deleting that /usr/obj/foo
directory and all within, letting it be recreated next build, so I'd
use it...

thanks
barry bouwsma