Subject: Re: savecore weirdness
To: Wolfgang Rupprecht <>
From: Simon Burge <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/01/2002 11:16:22
Wolfgang Rupprecht wrote:

> Greywolf writes:
> > Looks like either the header got corrupted or your memory size goes into
> > the territory of unsigned numbers.
> >
> > ...after all, you don't *really* have 8GB of RAM in there, do you?
> No I don't have 8Gig of ram (although I'm quite willing to accept
> donations ;-)).
> I do have 8 Gigs of on-disk swap space (spread over two wd*b
> partitions).  I just *assumed* the kernel could make use of a
> swap_space greater than address_space.  (Was I wrong???)

By default, savecore will try to dump to the 'b' partition of the
boot device.  Look for a "root on ... dumps on ..." line in dmesg (or

Also, savecore will use /netbsd to find where to grovel to fetch the
core (although from memory this has been fixed on recent -current if
the machdep.booted_kernel sysctl works on your type of system).

Simon Burge                            <>
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service: