Subject: Re: savecore weirdness
To: None <>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/31/2002 09:05:33 (David Laight) writes:
> What on earth is the workload of this system?
> 8Gb of swap seems somewhat excessive!

It used to be 1.5 Gig but I kept running out of swap when I tried to
include more than 3 states in my map database (process size about
1Gig).  Repartitioning was a whole-day affair, so I took the
opportunity to put 4 Gigs of swap on the disk.  When I added a second
disk some time later, I used the exact same partitioning so that I
could do disk-to-disk backups.

It turned out adding sufficient swap wasn't the only impediment.  I'm
also up against an address space layout limit on the x86 where I can't
get much more than 1.9Gigs of virtual address in one hunk anyway.

       Wolfgang Rupprecht <>
Coming soon: GPS mapping tools for Open Systems.