Subject: Re: FTPD-current
To: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/30/2002 21:33:10
> > 2. The latest 'ftpd' (from the -current branch) behaves
> >    strangely with some clients, including Windows2000
> >    'ftp' command and Amiga Genesis 'ftp' and 'ncftp':
> >    only one command can be issued, and after that it
> >    hangs.
> >    Is this on purpose?
>
> Does it hang during the first command? (i.e. 'ls' never returns output)
> That more often indicates that the client is behind a firewall that
> doesn't do active ftp properly...
>
> I don't have either of those clients handy for testing though.

I may have a data point on this:
it seems ftp.netbsd.org uses -current ftpd.
I used mirror 2.9 to mirror parts of the tree, and with the new ftpd it
fails:
antioche:/home/bouyer>mirror -d /tmp/ftp.netbsd.org
package=NetBSD-pkgs-distfiles ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/packages/distfiles -> /home/ftp/pub/NetBSD/packages/distfiles
Scanning local directory /home/ftp/pub/NetBSD/packages/distfiles
Scanning remote directory /pub/NetBSD/packages/distfiles
compare directories (src 6744, dest 6725)
Failed to get fdgw-20020127.tar.gz: 125 Using existing data connection for 'fdgw-20020127.tar.gz' (121853 bytes).

mirror doesn't like "Using existing data connection", and looking at the code
the data connection should be closed at this time (I even added
a ftp'close_data_connection just before).

however fmirror works with the new ftpd.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>