Subject: Re: serial console, X11, and keyboards
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Chuck Cranor <chuck@research.att.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/30/2002 14:04:45
On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 09:55:03AM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> The difference is, screen 0 is not configured automatically when it's
> not the console. You might be able to work around the bug in the Xserver
> by arranging to configure screen 0 manually before starting X, in the
> serial console case, with "wsconsfg -e vt100 0" or similar. Better, I
> seem to recall that it doesn't hurt anything to uncomment the line for
> screen 0 in "/etc/wscons.conf even when the PC console is used. The
> start-up script just complains that screen 0 is already configured.

sure enough, i uncommented the "screen 0" line from /etc/wscons.conf
and the keyboard now works with X11 and serial console.  thanks!
it also works with the normal console.

... but the default configuration of wscons.conf seems wrong to me.
is there ever a case where you wouldn't want screen 0 configured if
it is there?  why not uncomment that line in the master copy in the
cvs tree?

chuck