Subject: serial console, X11, and keyboards
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Cranor <chuck@research.att.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/30/2002 10:11:09
hi-

    we recently built a -current i386 system.   this system has a
serial console that is used only some of the time.   in fact, we have
the boot block set with -DSUPPORT_SERIAL=CONSDEV_AUTO so that:
	- if the serial link is active, it is the console
	- if the serial link is down, the normal PC display is the console

    we are having a problem with X11 since installing -current (including
a fresh compile of 4.1.0 xsrc).   if the normal PC display is the console,
everything works fine.   however, if the serial link is the console,
then when starting X all keyboard input goes to the tty where we started
xinit rather than to the X server itself (i.e. nothing happens when
you type, but when you exit the server [mouse still works fine] the
input you typed shows up on the text screen that is left after the
X server exits).

    this used to work fine before we updated to -current.   i'm wondering
if there is some new configuartion needed or something?

    here are the startup diffs between serial and normal PC display:

test> diff CON TTY
3c3
< cpu0: Intel Pentium II/Celeron (Deschutes) (686-class), 333.07 MHz
---
> cpu0: Intel Pentium II/Celeron (Deschutes) (686-class), 333.09 MHz
38c38
< wsdisplay0 at vga1 kbdmux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
---
> wsdisplay0 at vga1 kbdmux 1
48a49
> com0: console
53c54,55
< wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
---
> wskbd0 at pckbd0 mux 1
> wskbd0: connecting to wsdisplay0
test>

and here are the diffs from starting X:
test> diff CON.xinit TTY.xinit
11c11
< (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Thu Jan 24 14:41:41 2002
---
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Thu Jan 24 14:36:21 2002
25c25,26
< (--) Using pcvt driver (version 3.32)
---
> (--) Using wscons driver
> xf86OpenConsole
test>

interesting to note that X is using pcvt driver when using the PC
display console, and using the wscons driver when using the serial
console.

would like to be able to use X while serial console is active, but
not sure how to get there...

chuck