Subject: Re: auich and mpg123
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Duncan McEwan <duncan@mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
List: current-users
Date: 01/30/2002 17:54:20
A couple of weeks ago enami tsugutomo <enami@but-b.or.jp> said:

> As someone noted, you can't set auich's sampling rate other than 48000
> (and default isn't).
>
> So, first make sure your kenrel have auich.c of rev. 1.6 (or, apply
> attached patch).  Then, do
>
> % audioctl -w play=48000,2,16,slinear_le
> % audioctl -w record=48000,2,16,slinear_le
> % mpg123 -a /dev/sound0 -r 48000 your-mp3-file.mp3

I saved Enami's message because I knew we were about to receive a bunch
of machines that would have this Intel audio hardware.

Well, they're here now and have NetBSD installed on a few of them and we have
played a bit with the audio.  The above "recipe" works, in that it allows
mpg123 to play an mp3 file.  But it plays at the wrong speed and it sounds
really odd :-(

I had hoped that mpg123 would work some kind of "magic" to compensate for the
difference in sample rates (from 44.1KHz to 48KHz) but it appears that this
isn't the case.  Am I missing something?  Is there anything I can do to improve
things (besides only playing mp3's that have been recorded at 48KHz :-( ).  If
mpg123 can't do the right magic, are there other audio file players that can?

Thanks for any advice,

Duncan