Subject: Re: Tape backup recommendations wanted
To: David Brownlee <abs@formula1.com>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 01/27/2002 04:46:36
On May 11, 10:21pm, David Brownlee wrote:
}
} 	Looking at replacing a DDS3 backup for a NetBSD/i386 box.
} 	Want around 50GB+ per tape.

     Hmm, this means that you're looking for a real drive then.  I
would recommend staying away from helical scan technology (including
Sony AIT drives).  That stuff may be okay for audio and video but has
proven to be unreliable for data.  For reliability and speed you should
be using linear technology.  I would recommend using DLT, QIC, or
possibly the new LTO drives.  Current generation DLT drives can store
110G native or 220G compressed.  Current generation QIC drives can
store 50G native or 100G compressed.  I have one of these (Tandberg
SLR100) and can recommend it.  See http://www.tandberg.com/ for
information on both types of drives.  I have been using Tandberg tapes
drives for over 10 years and have been quite happy with them.  For
information on the new LTO (Linear Tape Open) technology, see
http://www.lto.org/ .  I don't know much about them; however, according
the above site, they can store upto 100G native or 200G compressed.

} 	On-Stream produce 50Gb Internal/External SCSI units for 375/645 GBP.
} 	Has anyone had any experience of these?

     These are low-end junk drives (i.e. you get what you pay for).  I
would avoid them.

} 	Another option could be an 8000S 40/80GB DLT, but they're a touch
} 	pricy...

     I did play with one of these drives once.  It was nice.  Fast and
very quiet.  Unfortunately, real drives do cost money.  However, I just
got a new catalogue from one of my suplliers and the price of the DLT80
has dropped big time (probably due to the introduction of the
SDLT220).  The media for both the DLT80 and the SLR100 is comparable in
price.

} 	Does anyone have any other suggestions, oh, and a good scsi controller
} 	to which they can be connected.

     The SLR100 is a wide SCSI device.  I'm not sure about the others.
You will want a fairly fast SCSI controller to drive these devices.
However, the usual suspects would probably be okay.

}-- End of excerpt from David Brownlee