Subject: Re: Griffin Powermate "driver"
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/26/2002 02:08:00
In message <200201252257.g0PMvFr18790@guild.plethora.net>, Peter Seebach writes
:
>Well, it's not really a driver; Lennart has been very patient with me, and
>I now have a working userland program which connects to ugen0 and "drives" the
>powermate.  I don't entirely understand the rules for "pulsing" - it has
>the ability to pulse, and I can control how fast it goes, but I think I'm
>missing some key component of the data sent.

I finally found the bug.  I now have a "driver" suitable for use by people
comfortable with C.

Behavior is:
1.  Turning left and right does "mixerctl -w outputs.master=N", where N is
a magic "position" variable the program keeps track of.
2.  Clicking rotates among three display modes:
	* load average (the default)
	* current setting of "position"
	* steady 50% on

I don't have a config file structure, or anything like that.  And no, this
can't (so far as I can tell) turn a PC on, unless the PC turns on from an
external mouse click or something similar; that's Mac-specific magic.

Anyway, it's getting to the point where it's fairly tweakable, and all the
necessary logic to handle things like multiple clicks is in place, at least.
This is a very cool toy, and the company deserves recognition for being *very*
supportive of stupid questions.  :)

-s