Subject: RE: make build error
To: Greywolf <>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/19/2002 19:15:17
...yea I'm not quite sure where takes us >:}...i couldn't build a
new kernel from a sync because make and gcc needed updated...I manually
built and installed the latest make, but then share/mk still would
recognize .if and .WAIT, so now I'm using on some advise in
personal e-mail.

I'm not sure if is going to actually make and install a new
kernel and userland, or just build/bring everything up to date, then
prompt me to install.  If it doesn't install the new kernel, but does
intsall the new userland, my machine will be unuseable, I presume.

I'm gonna read through the script.  If I get this to work, I promise to
submit some diffs/PRs to update the docs.

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, Greywolf wrote:

> I keep getting the following with a FRESH FULL SOURCE CVS UPDATE:
> NetBSD# ./ -O /usr/src/obj
> --- xinstall.lo ---
> cc -O -Wall   -I/usr/src/tools/binstall/../../usr.bin/xinstall/../../bin/ls -include /usr/src/obj/tools/compat/config.h -c -o xinstall.lo /usr/src/tools/binstall/../../usr.bin/xinstall/xinstall.c
> --- xinstall ---
> cc -O -Wall   -I/usr/src/tools/binstall/../../usr.bin/xinstall/../../bin/ls -include /usr/src/obj/tools/compat/config.h   -o xinstall stat_flags.lo xinstall.lo  -L/usr/src/obj/tools/compat -lnbcompat -lutil
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lnbcompat
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> *** Error code 1
> 1 error
> nbmake: stopped in /usr/src/tools/binstall
> *** Error code 2
> # ...updating $SRCDIR/usr.bin/make won't work.  You need to use
> # $SRCDIR/tools/make (nbmake?)
> #
> #
> # --Brian
> 				--*greywolf;
> --
> NetBSD: The Last Bastion of the true UNIX Religion.

"GNU/Linux: About as stable as the elements at the bottom of the periodic