Subject: Re: Renumbering a RAID device with raidframe autoconfig
To: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 01/19/2002 11:19:29
Alan Barrett writes:
> On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, Greg Oster wrote:
> > > but after all that "raidctl -s raid0" still reports "Last configured
> > > as: raid4", and on the next boot the device is again configured as
> > > raid4.
>
> > What you want/need to do is just a:
> >
> >   raidctl -I 12345 raid0
> >
> > (replace "12345" with your own serial number) and then the component
> > labels will have the correct values, including the "Last configured
> > as" field.
>
> I was afraid that "raidctl -I" would damage my data, or wastefully mark
> the parity as dirty.  You think it should be safe?

It's safe.  It won't damage the data nor watefully mark the parity as dirty...
(It *does* mark the parity for each component as 'dirty', but that is
the case whenever the raid device is opened anyway, so it's a NOP.  If the
parity was known to be clean when the device was opened, then the parity will
be marked as clean when the device is closed.)

> Can I similarly use "raidctl -I" if I want to change the serial number
> while while preserving the data?

Yup.

Later...

Greg Oster