Subject: Re: nvidia geforce2 go and xfree86
To: Florian Stoehr <florian.stoehr@login-solutions.de>
From: Brook Milligan <brook@biology.nmsu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/18/2002 08:17:15
Florian Stoehr writes:
 > i have the same machine. you need the nvidia driver, nv driver will NOT
 > work.
 >
 > but this is only available for linux :-(((((
 >
 > you cannot get this machine to work under netbsd or freebsd.

I was afraid of that.  However, there is a project to port the Linux
drivers to FreeBSD; see http://nvidia.netexplorer.org/index.html.
Would there be any interest in the NetBSD community to do something
similar, either in parallel or perhaps by enhancing their effort and
making a single integrated driver?

I'm not sure of the quality of the code (I don't run FreeBSD so I
can't check it out) but I think the basic idea is to make an
OS-specific device driver that the nvidia X driver can manipulate.
With a bit of help I think it is feasible to port it over.  It would
be great to have some help, especially with the design phase.

Anyone interested?

Cheers,
Brook