Subject: Re: IPv6 stuff
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Stephen Degler <sdegler@degler.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/15/2002 22:46:57
Hi,

> - For those of you running IPv6: are you just using stateless
>   autoconfiguration for your machines?  It doesn't look like to me yet
>   that DHCPv6 is done yet, so I don't think that's an option.  If you're
>   using stateless autoconfiguration, are you putting those addresses
>   into DNS?

I'm using the statless autoconfig.  And like the other responder, I'm
pushing the values into DNS manually.  It would be nice to have some
hook to run nsupdate though.  This could be done in /etc/rc.d.
And you would have to have dynamic updates on in DNS.

> - Is the standard for doing DNS to create a AAAA records for the same
>   hostname, or to create a "hostname6" with the AAAA records, or does
>   that really depend on what you're doing?  Also, is anybody out there
>   using A6 records?

I host names with both v6 and v4 addresses.
crusoe			A	66.114.64.229
			AAAA	3ffe:2900:1:6::2

It works pretty well for me.  The downside is that you can't select
v4 or v6 by name.

I don't think there is resolver support for A6 records yet.
if you have bind 9.2 you can turn on "options v6-synthesis" to get the
nameserver to translate A6 to AAAA.

skd