Subject: Re: X library path, etc.
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/14/2002 15:36:32
On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Peter Seebach wrote:

# It is a frequent nuisance to me that any program that is linked with
# X11 libs seems to need "-Wl,-R/usr/X11R6/lib".
#
# Couldn't/shouldn't the default be that "-Lfoo" *IMPLIES* that?  Is there
# some obvious trick I'm missing that would make a naive build script work
# by default, without having to tell it "by the way, you need to go out of
# your way to clarify that you weren't joking when you asked for the X11 libs"?

I seem to remember that -L means "look for these at compile-time for
link consistency", while -Wl,-R means "use these at run-time".

In my opinion, unless you *really* know what you're doing, having
the two disparate doesn't sound like a stable idea.

And it's certainly beyond my comprehension why one has to do -Wl,-R
but not -Wl,-L (contrasted to the simple -L/-R on other compilers
(at least one other (sun) comes to mind here)).

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD. Not Guano.