Subject: Re: IPv6 stuff
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: James Sharp <jsharp@psychoses.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/14/2002 14:01:18
> - For those of you running IPv6: are you just using stateless
>   autoconfiguration for your machines?  It doesn't look like to me yet
>   that DHCPv6 is done yet, so I don't think that's an option.  If you're
>   using stateless autoconfiguration, are you putting those addresses
>   into DNS?

I'm using stateless autoconfiguration...and since the IP address is made
up of the prefix and ethernet address, as long as my prefix doesn't
change, my address are static.  And I've put them into DNS.

> - Is the standard for doing DNS to create a AAAA records for the same
>   hostname, or to create a "hostname6" with the AAAA records, or does
>   that really depend on what you're doing?  Also, is anybody out there
>   using A6 records?

I'd imagine the host naming convention would depend on your application.
For me, I just put everything into a DNS subdomain, ipv6.psychoses.org.