Subject: Problem with X11R6, usbhid_pic.a, usb_pic.a
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Stark <bpstark@pacbell.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/10/2002 23:05:50
Hi,

I found another problem, which I kind of understand, but am unsure
of how to fix correctly.

With NetBSD-current and X11R6 (XFree86 3.3.6 from xsrc.tar.gz) sources
from 1-9-2002, attempting to install X11R6 fails with the following
errors:

making all in programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/misc...
making all in programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/common...
rm -f xf86USBtablet.so
gcc -nostdlib -o xf86USBtablet.so -Wl,-Bshareable -R/usr/X11R6/lib xf86USBtablet.o /usr/lib/libusb_pic.a
gcc: /usr/lib/libusb_pic.a: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/xsrc/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/common
*** Error code 1

I know there have been some recent (end of December?) changes regarding
the usb and usbhid libraries, and after having completely compiled NetBSD
on January 2 I did some clean up and removed old shared libraries and
libraries that are not used anymore (like libusb_pic.a). Checking the
Imakefile in .../xfree86/common shows that there is a check for setting
the proper value for the ARCH_USB variable, and part of that checks looks
like:

  OSTeenyVersion > 26

If greater than 26, the ARCH_USB uses libusbhid_pic.a. If less than
or equal, the code uses libusb.

The Imakefile has a January 4, 2002 time stamp, and "uname -a" on my
system reports:

NetBSD callisto.niangua.net 1.5ZA NetBSD 1.5ZA (CALLISTO) #2: Thu Jan 10
17:24:14 PST 2002     bstark@callisto.niangua.net:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/
compile/CALLISTO i386

I checked my /usr/src/sys/sys/param.h and __NetBSD_Version__ is defined
as "105270000".

It seems like my system should be using the libusbhid_pic.a library, but
for some reason it isn't. It seems that the X11R6 Imakefile's don't
undestand that NetBSD 1.5ZA should result in a OSTeenyVersion of 27.

Other than patching /usr/X11R6/xc/config/cf/NetBSD.cf, what is the right
way to solve this problem? (I guess I'm not sure how OSTeenyVersion is set
to begin with...)

Has anyone else seen this problem?

TIA,

Brian Stark