Subject: Re: probleme bulding current
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <David.Laight@btinternet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/10/2002 10:15:48
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 02:53:02PM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
>   | On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 05:22:01PM +0000, David Laight wrote:
>   | > But since such a filesystem cannot be used until the new kernel is built
>   | > the toolchain shouldn't need makefs.  If we are going to populate the new
>   | > filesystem we have to be running a kernel that knows about it - and
>   | > hence we can (presumably) use the native makefs.
>
> Well, thank Luke for makefs, since Luke wrote it; thank Todd for the
> funky toolchain stuff.  Then thank Perry, for paying Luke & Todd :)

Seems I got confused by the name :-(

> makefs is quite useful in building and *populating* NetBSD ffs
> file systems for install media (e.g, floppies, miniroots, etc),
> possibly on non-NetBSD hosts, without needing root privileges.

Yes - would help the release, especially if you get the endianness
stuff sorted properly! (just a likely place for obscure errors)

> A lot of work has been occuring in the NetBSD source tree to
> allow building of releases from the NetBSD-current source tree,
> on a non-NetBSD current system, as an unprivileged user, without
> having to update your system's /usr/include, /usr/lib (et al),
> because that might not be appropriate.

Yes - I don't want to build as root, even on my own system!

It might be useful to be able to mount a file system such that
everyone had chown/chmod priviledge (but maybe nosuid).  Then
you could build correct 'root' fs for a different version of
netbsd for the same machine.

    David