Subject: Re: probleme bulding current
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/09/2002 14:53:02
--FRaepaAnLTQkJ4tS

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 05:22:01PM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> But since such a filesystem cannot be used until the new kernel is built
> the toolchain shouldn't need makefs.  If we are going to populate the new
> filesystem we have to be running a kernel that knows about it - and
> hence we can (presumably) use the native makefs.

I'm speaking out of turn, since I'm nowhere near the people
importing makefs into the toolchain, but I think that it's wanted
there in order to make the creation of install media during the
creation of a release/snapshot simpler. (It does. makefs really
rocks. Play with it some time. Then go thank Todd for it. :^>)

> I can't see a valid use for makefs until you are running with the new
> kernel.

Hope the above clears that up.

> At the moment 'current' doesn't build on a 1.5.2 base......  In theory
> it is supposed to cross build on non-netbsd systems!

Right. That was the thrust of my PR back on Monday night/Tuesday
morning. :^>

Todd's made a temporary fix (pulling makefs back out of the build
process till it's fixed up to build regardless of the host OS)
which should appear on anoncvs the next time it's synched. (No,
you didn't miss a public announcement, go query the PR.)

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net

--FRaepaAnLTQkJ4tS