Subject: Re: 1.5Y/XF86 and Netscape crashes!
To: Lars-Johan Liman <liman@autonomica.se>
From: None <kml@selresearch.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/08/2002 12:08:35
In message <20020108.110001.27018748.liman@autonomica.se>Lars-Johan Liman write
>Does anyone else have problems running Netscape under FreeBSD
>emulation on 1.5Y?
>
>If I try, the machine reboots wihout a whisper. Netscapes starts
>rolling (I know the sound of that) but the window never appears, and
>suddenly _bang!_ all goes black, and it starts counting memory. No
>core dump, no nothing, just hard reset. I haven't done it more than
>5-6 times (the fsck is a pain to avoid), but it is perfectly
>repeatable. It _MIGHT_ be coupled to generating an X11 "event" (like
>moving the mouse, touching the keyboard, clicking the mouse etc.), but
>I can't say for sure. It's seems to happen on its own too, without me
>touching anything (lots of X11 events going on anyhow, especially at
>client startup, I know).

Heh, I can do you one better -- I have this happening regularly with
a Netscape 4.78 (with Linux emulation) and I got sick of this and
switched over to native mozilla (from http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/
releases/mozilla0.9.7/mozilla-i386-unknown-netbsdelf1.5.2.tar.gz) and
it still happened!  I'm running code that I snagged before Christmas,
so I'm sort of naively hoping that it'll be magically fixed when I
slap a more recent kernel on there.

Does anybody have some tips on how to debug this sort of thing?
I tried setting a serial console, but then you can't run X!

Thanks,

Kevin
kml@selresearch.net