Subject: Re: 1.5Y/XF86 and Netscape crashes!
To: None <kml@selresearch.net>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/08/2002 21:38:48
kml@selresearch.net wrote:
> Does anybody have some tips on how to debug this sort of thing?
> I tried setting a serial console, but then you can't run X!

Well, I'd try more -current kernel first (it's at 1.5ZA now).
You _do_ use 'make depend' before kernel compile, don't you?

I personally use linux Netscape from time to time (I use linux
Opera as main browser) and don't have any problems. I also use
solaris Netscape4 occassionally, again without any problems. Last
time I tried, FreeBSD Netscape run for me without problems too.[*]

Beware - if you load emulations via LKM, you need to make sure
you have the LKMs uptodate. For example, after the last struct file
change, the kernel crashes immediatelly if old LKM is loaded
and appropriate "foreign" binary is executed. I was bit by
this one too (which is a bit embarassing, I admit :)

Jaromir

 [*] Okay, "without problems" means that the binary run fine. Netscape
 still SIGSEGVs from time to time - but NetBSD can't help crappy code.

--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org> http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/i386/ps2.html
-=  Those who would give up liberty for a little temporary safety deserve  =-