Subject: Hrm. When'd wi(4) break?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/07/2002 20:53:55
--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S

My laptops have all been out of commission until just recently, so I
haven't had cause to use the wi(4) driver for a few months. I recall
it behaving just fine under 1.5.2 or so. But now, with this:

  wi0 at pcmcia1 function 0: Lucent Technologies, WaveLAN/IEEE, Version 01.=
01
  wi0: port 0x400-0x43fpcmcia1: card irq 4
  wi0: using Lucent chip or unknown chip

(A Lucent Orinoco Silver card), I get no love.

Inserting the card and ifconfiging it makes the connection light go
on, but the only thing that seems to generate any traffic at all is
dhclient's first (bpf?) broadcast... after that, nothing. (The
basestation's LEDs also show no activity.) I can run ping, but the
card (driver?) is very obviously not generating any packets.

Is my firmware finally just too old? (That'd suck. Looks like the
only path to a firmware upgrade involves Windows, and I do not
now--nor have I ever--owned any version of Windows. I don't guess
PEACE could run the updater...)

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net