Subject: Re: pthreads problem
To: Adam Lebsack <>
From: Perry E. Metzger <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/07/2002 18:34:48
Adam Lebsack <> writes:
> OK, then.  Would you happen to know why it broke in the first place?

proven-pthreads has been fragile from the start and never has worked
very well. There is a reason that we have things like explorer's
"unproven-threads" package around -- proven's code isn't reliable --
and there is a reason we have all the other packages like pth.

> I find it hard to believe that it's not fixable unless there was
> something done to NetBSD's core codebase that was intentional.

Read the code and you'll understand why it cannot be fixed very well.

> So, what would you recommend?  Perhaps I can tackle this.  :)

I'd discuss it on tech-pkg -- someone will likely have good ideas
about which of the pthreads implementations will work well for you.

Perry E. Metzger
NetBSD Development, Support & CDs.