Subject: Re: Xircom 10/100 Realport RE-100 "device timeout"
To: Laine Stump <>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/06/2002 18:27:09

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 01:24:46AM -0500, Laine Stump wrote:
> I had a Xircom Realport ethernet laying around, so I thought I'd plug
> it into my laptop (running -current just updated and built today) and
> see what happened. It was detected okay, but for some reason the LINK
> light never came on, and communication wasn't possible. Also, it gave
> the message "device timeout".

My Xircom Realport currently requires explicit setting of the media
(that is, autodetect won't work, do an ifconfig xi0 media 100BaseTX,
or whatever's appropriate).

I haven't looked into when xi was broken. More power to you if you
beat me to it. (I think this has something to do with fixing another
problem for a slightly different xi chipset that broke autodetect
elsewhere. The Xircom chipsets aren't as bad as winmodems, but...)

gabriel rosenkoetter

Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (NetBSD)
Comment: For info see