Subject: Re: USB joystick can't work with xmame-0.56.2 correctly
To: Rui-Xiang Guo <rxg@ms25.url.com.tw>
From: Krister Walfridsson <cato@df.lth.se>
List: current-users
Date: 01/06/2002 11:25:10
On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Rui-Xiang Guo wrote:

> Hi,
> first thing to say:
> xmame-0.56.2 doesn't compile with USB joystick under -current,
> the Makefile will check /usr/lib/libusb.a but I only have
> /usr/lib/libusbhid* on my box, so we need to change the Makefile with
> [...]

Thank you for your bug report. I'll fix it.

> Then I use my USB joystick with xmame-0.56.2, the buttons all works well,
> but the man in the xmame screen always go to left. I want him go to right! :)
> It seems the joy_usb.c driver doesn't decide the 'center' value properly with
> some devices.
> Can we find the better way to get more correctly 'center' value?
> Need your help! :)

Xmame uses the heuristics that you need to move the joystick > half the
distance between center and max/min for it to detect it as a move event.
Center is taken as the value of the joystick when xmame starts (HID devices
do tell their center value in the descriptor, but this is not always
correct, especially for joystick -> USB adapters, so we cannot rely
on it.)

So I cannot see how you get this behavior (provided that the joystick is
reasonable positioned when you start xmame...) It might be that your
joystick reports something that confuses the code. I'll take a look at
the code to see if I can find any strangness...

   /Krister