Subject: Re: wi(4) interoperability, 104bit WEP key patch
To: Andrew Cagney <cagney@mac.com>
From: Tod McQuillin <devin@spamcop.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/03/2002 20:59:07
On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Andrew Cagney wrote:

> wi0 at obio0 offset 0x30000 irq 57: 802.11 address 00:30:65:01:37:c9
> wi0: using Lucent chip or unknown chip
>
> The original air port cards were only 40 bit.  Apple made available a
> firmware upgrade to the client side card (i.e. the card in my mac) to
> enable 104bit WEP.  When I tried it against a 104bit basestation (not an
> airport basestation though) I couldn't get it to work.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone can report success with this.  I could be
> missing something stupid.

I have an iBook with original 40-bit Airport card, using FreeBSD as a
basestation (not really a basestation -- ad-hoc mode).

After installing Airport 2.0 software from Apple, I was able to use
104-bit WEP keys at both ends.

So I can confirm that the Airport 2.0 software from Apple does appear to
flash the firmware of the Airport card to support 104-bit WEP.  Whether
this works with any other OS besides MacOS, I can't say.
--
Tod McQuillin